- 2009 - Ph.D., Oceanography, International Max Planck Research School on Earth System Modelling (IMPRS-ESM), Hamburg, Germany
Dissertation: Warm and sensitive Paleocene-Eocene climate
- 2005 - M.Sc., Physics, Carl von Ossietzky University of Oldenburg, Oldenburg, Germany
Thesis: Interactions between marine biology and the El Niño-Southern Oscillation: a conceptual model analysis
My general motivation is to understand and to explain different aspects of our Earth System with mathematical models. As a Postdoc at IPRC, I focused on the development and application of climate and ice-sheet models to study the forcing and feedback mechanisms that cause glacial cycles.
Scientific Work Experience
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Japan Agency for Marine and Earth Science and Technology (JAMSTEC) - International Pacific Research Center (IPRC) Initiative, SOEST, Honolulu, Hawaii, 10/2010 - 12/2013
- Postdoctoral Researcher, Max Planck Institute for Meteorology (MPI-M), Hamburg, Germany, 07/2009 - 12/2009 and 04/2010 - 09/2010
- Heinemann, M., A. Timmermann, O. Elison Timm, F. Saito, and A. Abe-Ouchi, 2014: Deglacial ice-sheet meltdown: orbital pacemaking and CO2 effects. Climate of the Past, 10, 509-532, doi:10.5194/cpd-10-509-2014. IPRC-1045.
- Friedrich, T., A. Timmermann, A. Abe-Ouchi, N.R. Bates, M.O. Chikamoto, M.J. Church, J.E. Dore, D.K. Gledhill, M. González-Dávila, M. Heinemann, T. Ilyna, J.H. Jungclaus, E. McLeod, A. Mouchet, and J.M. Santana-Casiano, 2012: Detecting regional anthropogenic trends in ocean acidification against natural variability. Nature Climate Change, 2, 167‐171, doi:10.1038/nclimate1372. IPRC-829.
- Lunt, D.J., T. Dunkley Jones, M. Heinemann, M. Huber, A. LeGrande, A. Winguth, C. Loptson, J. Marotzke, J. Tindall, and P. Valdes, 2012: A model-data comparison for a multi-model ensemble of early Eocene atmosphere-ocean simulations: EoMIP. Climate of the Past, 8, 1717-1736, doi:10.5194/cp-8-1717-2012. IPRC-971.
- Heinemann, M., A. Timmermann, and U. Feudel, 2011: Interactions between marine biota and ENSO: A conceptual model analysis. Nonlin. Processes Geophys., 18, 29-40.
- Heinemann, M., J.H. Jungclaus, and J. Marotzke, 2009: Warm Paleocene/Eocene climate as simulated in ECHAM5/MPI-OM. Clim. Past, 5, 785-802.